Thursday, November 14, 2013

Nikkingléspañol No More

English speakers, the post in your language is after the post in Spanish!

Pienso que es tiempo...tiempo para un blog en español.
No voy a prometer que este post vaya perfecto, pero voy a hacer lo mejor que puedo.

Y trataré para no pensar sobre mis errores.
Y no voy a usar un diccionario.

Okay? Okay.

Y, sí, voy a traducirlo en inglés también...pero quiero que sabes que el post en inglés no vaya ser lo mismo. Es imposible, porque inglés no es una idioma que hablas con el corazón. En el otro lado, español es un idioma que requiere todo tu cuerpo (y mente, obviamente) para hablar.

Pues...que cosas son nuevas en mi vida? Ya sabes que mis clases privadas empezaran esta semana...y todavía pienso que hice la decisión correcta. Me encanta mi maestro, y me gusta que él tiene mucha paciencia... porque estoy muy, muy lento y - a veces - obstinada.

Y que sobre mi ciudad - Oaxaca? Que cosas puedo compartir? Yo debería informarte sobre la burbuja que yo encontré? O la otra noche cuando estaba música en la calle cerca de mi casa, y toda la gente bailaron? O, quizá, la mujer que vende fruta en Alcalá? Quiero explicar en detalle la manera en cual los globos brillar incluso cuando no hay luz. Deseo que entiendas todos los ruidos de la ciudad que significan vida y vivacidad.

Me encantaría compartir y describir la importancia del afecto y comunidad...cosas que son nada menos que prevalente y evidente en cada calle, con cada persona. Okay...esta va a sonar un poco cómico, pero me gusta ver la mucha gente besar en las calles. En los estados unidos, el afecto es una cosa más o menos privada. Es peculiar ver gente dan afecto en las calles. Si tratas besar alguien en público, es posible recibir un beso pequeño, o quizá tu pareja tendrá tu mano...pero hay mucha vergüenza y estigma adjunto con afecto en público.

Aquí, es refrescante ver gente que tienen orgullo en sus parejas. Es algo especial que la gente quiere compartir y mostrar sus afectos por el otro. Si toda la gente en el mundo amarían con más libertad - si más gente tenían menos reservas y inseguridades resultado de miedo y percepción - quizás el mundo sería un lugar más tranquilo, más feliz. Más, más...seguro, más - yo no sé, pero creo que me gustaría vivir en aquel mundo.

Okay - y sobre mi vida aquí en Oaxaca? Cómo he pasado mis días esta semana?
Hmmm, ayer me despedí a Francis - mi amigo constante aquí desde mi primer día. Y más temprano en la semana, yo convencí el cocinero de Altako para preparar pozole vegetariano (voy a comerlo mañana a las 8).

Que más? --- hmm, cada día yo saludo a Pedro, un hombre que vende camisas políticas en Alacalá. Y 2 veces esta semana, yo compré fruta con granola. Yo estudiaba en casa, frente a la escuela, en el zócalo (pero en el zócalo, usualmente estoy mirando las personas).

Ya sabes que fui al mercado, pero no sabes la alegría yo siento cuando compro tortillas - jaja. Y, mientras estoy pensando sobre eso...hay un snack aquí se llama alegría. Probablemente como una alegría todos los días.

Es imposible sentir triste, deprimido, o algo negativo cuando tienes alegría en tus manos.
Me encanta este juego de palabras....
Pues, es el fin de mi post en español, y estoy un poco enojado que no usé más subjuntivo. Pienso que hay instancias en que podría usarlo...

Maestro? Que piensas? :)

And now, it's time for the English version: Goodness, this is a lot of work.
All of the above reads somewhat as follows:

Well, I think it's time. Time for a blog in Spanish. I'm not going to promise you that it will be perfect, but I will do the best I can.

And I will try not to think about my mistakes.
And I'm not going to use a dictionary.

Okay? Okay.

And, yes, I'm going to translate it into English as well, but I want you to know that the post in English isn't going to be the same. It's impossible, because English isn't a language you speak with your heart. On the flip side, Spanish is a language that requires your entire body (and mind, obviously) to speak it.

So, what about the new things in my life? You already know that my private classes began this week and I still think I made the right decision. I love my teacher, and I really like that he has so much patience because I'm really, really slow and - sometimes - a bit stubborn.

And what about my city, Oaxaca? What things can I share? Am I able to tell you of the bubble I encountered? Or the other night when music was playing in the street by my house, and everyone came out to dance? Or maybe about the woman who sells fruit on the pedestrian road? I want to explain in detail the way in which the balloons in the Zócalo shine, even when there is no light. I want you to understand how all of the sounds of the city indicate that there is life and vivacity happening all the time.

I would love to share and explain the importance of affection and community - things which are nothing less than prevalent and evident in each street, in each person. Okay, this is going to sound a little weird, but I love to see the numerous couples kissing in the streets. In the US, affection is one of those things that is more private; it's weird to see people giving affection in public there. Generally speaking, if you try to kiss someone (in the US) in public, you may receive a small kiss in return, or some hand holding...but there is a lot of shame and stigma attached to public affection.

Here, it's refreshing to see that people have pride in their partners. It feels like something special that the people want to share and demonstrate their affections for one another. If all of the people in the world would love more freely, if more people had less reservations and insecurities born from fear and perceptions of others, perhaps the world would be a more tranquil place - happier, safer.

I don't know, but I'd like to live in that world.

Okay. And what about my life in Oaxaca? How have I been spending my days this week? Well, yesterday I said goodbye to Francis - my constant friend here for the last month. And earlier in the week I convinced the chef at Altako to make vegetarian pozole, which I'm going to eat tomorrow at 8.

And what else? Every day I say hello to Pedro, a guy who sells political shirts on the pedestrian street. And twice this week I've purchased fruit with granola from the most precious old woman. I've been studying (in my house, in front of the school, in the zócalo - although in the Z I'm usually people watching).

You already know that I went to the market this week, but you don't know about the joy I feel when I purchase fresh tortillas! And speaking of "joy" there is a snack here called "alegría" (which means joy). I probably eat at least one a day.

It's impossible to feel sad, depressed, or anything negative when you're holding "joy" in your hands.
Oh I love word play.

Well, that is the end of my post. I had hoped to use more of the subjunctive (in Spanish) and I probably had many opportunities and just missed them. Good thing I'm going to ask my teacher to read the blog :)




No comments: