Tuesday, November 5, 2013

He Hates Metallica

Dad, I don't think you're going to like this story. There's a new game I play when I'm bored now. It's called, "I talk to cops."

For example, when I'm sitting at a cafe or in front of a building waiting to meet up with people...and they're late or something, then I go over to the cops and ask them questions that are ridiculous to answer (like where can I find a place that re-sells....).

Or, like the other day, we walked past these two cops that we always see standing in the same place - seemingly guarding nothing (and obviously being sketchy). And so I went over and asked, "What are you doing here every day, all day?"

The cops are usually nice.
Unless they're hitting on me. Then they're not nice.
But usually, they just go along with the game.
That's why it's fun.

And that's my anecdote for the day. Now for the run-day of Tuesday:

I woke up really early with a bit of a stomach bug (which I've seemingly shaken since).
That didn't deter me from eating my last breakfast at my host-home (Martita, I miss you already). At breakfast, we talked about my future plans in Oaxaca, my plan for the day, if I needed a taxi to transport me from there to my new apartment...

And then I left, feeling a little sad and a little sick, for school. I love school. So I'm glad I went, even though I was feeling sick. I enjoy interacting with the various teachers and getting to know the students from around the world. And, of course, I love to learn and I love to practice.

I am good at being a student.

Nevertheless, my awesome student-ness didn't convince Omar to let me ring the bell at the break. He promised that I'll get to do that tomorrow. He's probably going to forget. But not me!

After school, I went home and checked to make sure I had everything packed. Then I ate lunch and spent time with my host family - we talked about Paula & Renee's kids (who are also named Paula y Renee) and then it was time to go!

I got in the cab, promised to visit the host family, and made my way into the "historic center" to set myself up in my new little apartment. I'm about 5 minutes walk from the Zocalo, which means I'm in the action of the city.

Unfortunately, I'm now 25 minutes walking from the school. I guess that means I'll be getting good exercise.

My new little apartment is really cute. It's only one room + a bathroom, but it's all one person needs. I have a tiny kitchen which allows me to cook some things (like boiling potatoes) and a dresser that fits all my things exactly.

Also, I'm like 3 minutes away from Cafe Brujula. If I'm not a regular there already, then I definitely will be now.

Oh - and I went to the market to buy some groceries. I love el mercado, but it's really overwhelming. People want you to buy their stuff, and so they're pretty aggressive about it. They all push things towards you and yell at you to buy it (they tell you what it is, the price, etc). And, if you touch ANYTHING you instantly get a spiel about the product.

I have been learning not to touch things in the markets.
The next thing I need to learn is to go to bed at a reasonable hour.

That's probably not going to happen tonight. 

1 comment:

PLANET HANSEN said...

You love it there huh? Xox