Monday, November 4, 2013

I Talk to Cops.

Around here you sometimes hear, "If you want to see how real people live, travel outside of the city."

I have a small issue with this saying. The people in the city, the people who I live with, they are real people.

I think what people mean to say is this: "If you want to see how the majority of people live around here, travel outside the city center."

I agree with this.
If you want to know how the majority of the people live in the state of Oaxaca, you're going to have to travel outside the area in which I currently live to see it.

It's a little bit "backwards." It's opposite from the US. At least close to the city. All the poverty is on the hill, and the wealth is in the valley.

Of course, there is a hill that is ridiculously wealthy.
So maybe I'm wrong.

I'm just trying to describe how things are around here. But, like I say in every post, it's not really possible. You have to see it and know it for yourself.

And on that note - you might be wondering what I did today.
Well, I went to school. And upon entering the school, I found out I was in a new class with a new teacher. And, after crying to Omar for 5 minutes about the injustices of these changes, he convinced me that I am ready for a more advanced level Spanish and assured me that new classmates and a new teacher won't be the end of the world.

I am hoping this is true. I'm apprehensive about the people in my class. I'm apprehensive in general. I miss my teacher.

After class, I dropped off laundry, picked up the keys to my new apartment in Oaxaca, packed my things, and then around 4 I started studying....until 830.

At some point, I met up with Francis (and Thora) at Cafe Brujula and my favorite barista has a cold too! So, maybe he spread his disease to me via money or licking my tea-mug? Or maybe it's coincidence.

Anyway, that's been my day. Tomorrow, I move to my new place.
I'll take photos.


1 comment:

Jake and Danica said...

He totally licked your mug. ;)