Monday, November 25, 2013

Forward - Adelante

It took five weeks, but finally a bug caught me. However, I can proudly say that this bug is something entirely native to me, and is not caused by external factors.

That makes me sound pregnant. I'm not pregnant. Not even close. Sorry to disappoint you.

The truth is I've got some funny things with my blood and stuff, and my own body often makes itself sick. That's what I'm dealing with today. My body is having a war with itself. All I can do is lay in bed while it throws a fit.

But, tomorrow will be better. Because I'm being a good girl.

Tomó 5 semanas, pero una enfermedad finalmente me alcanzó. Sin embargo, puedo decir con orgullo que esa enfermedad es algo nativo a mi, y la causa no es algo externo.

Y no, no, no - no estoy embarazada, ni siquiera cerca. Lo siento. 


La verdad es que tengo problemas extrañas con mi sangre y en la salud en general, y frecuentemente mi cuerpo me hace enferme - por lo tanto, estoy enferma hoy. Mi cuerpo está teniendo una guerra con sí mismo. Todo puedo hacer es descansar mientras mi cuerpo hace un berrinche. 

Pero mañana estará mejor, porque todo el día estoy descansando.  

I bought my return ticket back to the US. I'm sad to know my time in the happiest place on Earth is coming to an end (for now), but there are things back in Minneapolis that I need to do. There are little human-students who need butt-kicking. There are doctors appointments that need to be made. There is a cute little baby who has been waiting his whole life for his Auntie Nikki to hold him (that's right, Moses, I'm talking about you - you little poncho wearing bandit!).

I don't like thinking about leaving. There are things and people here, too. You know?

Yo compré mi boleto de avion para regresar a los EEUU. Estoy triste saber que mi tiempo aquí en la lugar más alegre en todo el mundo va a terminar (por ahora), pero hay cosas en Minneapolis que necesito hacer. Hay niños que me necesitan. Hay citas medicás que necesito hacer. Hay un lindo bebé que ha esperado toda su vida de su Auntie Nikki para sostenerlo (es cierto, Moses, estoy hablando de ti, tu pequeño bandido que lleva un poncho)!

No me gusta pensar en volver a los EEUU. Hay cosas y gente aquí, también. Sabes?

I should tell you about what I've been doing recently. I stopped writing every day, because I've been here so long that most things are routine. I have a life, and writing about the same cobbled stones can get boring for some people.

Not for me. I love those cobbled stones. But for you, maybe.

Over the weekend, I took Matt to Monte Alban and Hierve el Agua (and Tlocolula). Matt had fun with the collective-taxi experience, and riding in the back of a truck up the side of a mountain. That's always fun for everyone. Seriously. The view from the back of that truck is priceless.

We were riding in it with some people who bought some baby chicks to raise. They kept trying to sleep, but then we'd hit a bump and they'd all start chirping. They were very cute.

Debo decirte sobre las cosas yo he hecho en los días pasadas. Yo paré escribir todos los días porque yo he habido aquí un largo tiempo, y la mayoría de las cosas hago aquí son rutinas. Tengo me vida aquí, y para escribir sobre las mismas piedras en las calles es algo aburrido para algunas personas.

Para mi, no. Me encanta estas piedras de las calles. Pero, para ti? Quizá no.

Durante el fin de semana, yo tomé a Matt a Monte Alban y HiervelAgua (y Tlocolula). Matt tenía un buen tiempo en los colectivos, y durante el paseo en la camioneta. La camioneta cada vez es divertida. En serio. Y la vista desde la camioneta es sin precio. 


Estabamos en la camioneta con gente que compraron...pollitos para crecer. Los pollitos querían dormir pero los hoyos en la carretera lo hacían difícil. Monos pollitos!

Oh, but before all that, I was stopped in Llano Park by some middle school students who were interviewing people for a school project about the pros and cons of internet on cell phones. This interview was in Spanish.

Ok, returning to Hierve...Hierve is easily one of my favorite places I've ever been on the Earth. It's indescribably beautiful. Like many things, it's a feeling. Not a word.

In other news, Matt had his first taste of Mezcal up there on that mountain.
And, on our way down the mountain, I made friends with the driver of the truck, and he gave me some recommendations for bands. Success is defined by expanding your database of music.

Oh - pero antes de todas estas cosas - algunos estudiantes me pararon en el parque llano. Estaban haciendo entrevistas con gente para un proyecto de clase sobre los pros y cons de internet en cell phones. Y, la entrevista fue en español.

Okay, Hierve! Hierve es simplemente uno de mis favoritos lugares en todo la tierra. Este lugar es hermoso más allá de descripción. Como muchas cosas, es un sentimiento - no una palabra. 


En otras noticias, Matt tuvo su primer mezcal en Hierve. Y, cuando regresar a Mitla, conocí el conductor de la camioneta - y el me die algunas recomendaciones para música. Alegría es descubrir música nueva.

After too much sun and fun, we went to the big sunday mercado. It's an experience everyone should have if they plan to visit Oaxaca. You can buy all sorts of great (and not so great) things.

But, in spite of all the fun things we did this weekend, the best thing that happened is this: the city has come back to life. I almost cried when I saw the vendors in the street. I have never been so happy to balloons and children playing in a church square in all my life.

It seemed like the whole city was in the Zocalo last night, celebrating the removal of the harlequin mask. I can't help but wonder if I've embedded too much of my identity within this city. Something about being here has allowed me a freedom I've never given myself. In a figurative way, I've done some unmasking of myself.

Like the city, I just want to be loved for what's raw and real about me. Even the controversial, unsightly aspects of me.

Después de demasiado diversión y sol, fuimos al mercado. Pienso que cada persona que visita a Oaxaca necesita visitar a Tlacolula. Puedes comprar un gran variedad de cosas buenas (y cosas no tan buenas).

Pero, a pesar de todas las cosas interesantes Matt y yo hicimos durante el fin de semana, lo mejor que ocurrió fue esto: la ciudad ha regresado a la vida. Casi lloré cuando vi los vendedores en las calles. Nunca antes había sentido tan alegre para ver niños y globos y niños con globos en cualquier lugar en toda mi vida.

Parecía que toda la gente de Oaxaca fueran en el zocalo anoche para celebrar. Es imposible impedirme preguntar si yo he puesto demasiada de mí misma y identidad dentro de la ciudad. Algo sobre estar aquí ha permitido una liberación que nunca he dado mí misma. En una manera figurativa, supongo que quité una máscara también. 


Como la ciudad, estoy listo para recibir amor para las cosas real y cruda sobre mi - incluyendo las cosas controvertidas o feas.  

1 comment:

Jake and Danica said...

I love you and I miss you, and while I'm sad you're leaving a place you love so much, I'm happy I'll get a chance to see you!