Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Thanks, Oaxaca.

Every day I'm here is one more day that leaving doesn't feel like an option.

Sure, I wouldn't mind a night or two free of cuitones (fireworks) and campanias (bells). But I still encanta (love) hearing the tamale man, the 'gas de Oaxaca' man, the tortilla man.

Sure, I don't love that the water is scarce and not safe for drinking. But why should I care when the return is so much enjoyable culture, food, entertainment?

Every day, I'm reminded of how lucky I am.
Every day, I'm reminded of how beautiful I appear to be.
Every day, I'm learning something new.
Every day, I am surprised by something heartbreaking or heartwarming.
Every day, I remember fully what it means to be Nikki, and alive.

So - every day I'm here is one more day that leaving doesn't feel like an option.
But, of course that day will come.

And then, there will be no waking up for family breakfast at 8 AM. There will be no classes with Maestro Herman at the institute. There will be no culture classes, no political debates, no getting caught in the middle of fast paced traffic, no Zocalos, no random parade parties, no street vendors.

Today must have been a good day for me to be talking this way. :)

I went to school, had lunch, went back to school, and then studied at Cafe Brujula for 3 hours. Then, friends met up and we went to the coolest place - Nueva Babel - where I got a chocolate de agua!

It wasn't a particularly special day.
It was just a day that reminded me of the importance of community and connection, a day that reminded me where my passions lay.

It's amazing what you can learn about yourself when put into a situation completely unfamiliar - and it's nice to feel completely at peace with oneself.

Thanks, Oaxaca.

No comments: