Monday, October 28, 2013

Just Another Day in Paradise

I got a compliment from Martita today. She is the best person on the planet, and so her compliment made me really happy.

I had been expressing my concerns over my mediocre Spanish, but she insisted my Spanish was good - and told me I was a clear, purposeful speaker. Then she gave me an extra tortilla. Nothing spells love more clearly than extra food.

There are two more people living at the house (a couple in their 40s from Boston). They are also taking Spanish classes. I was feeling self conscious because they were speaking a lot of Spanish, and I'm just not a big talker [I should say I'm not a confident speaker].

That's where my doubts arose.

After my tamale breakfast, I went to class (which is totally in Spanish, which I totally understand) and enjoyed a day of working on the future tense (which I know). We played a fun game of hypothetical situations. I love games!

After class, I went home and had lunch - these potato cakes that are delicious. Martita and I talked about Matt, my dad, the police, the new couple living in the house.

Then I went to class, finished painting my mask, went for a run in Llano park (it was kind of a pathetic run....altitude problems), came back to class, changed in the bathroom, talked with a random chick, and went to study at Cafe Brujula. Unfortunately, studying wasn't very successful. My brain was not turned on, and I couldn't really understand what I was supposed to be studying.

In other news: there is a symposium/conference at the school this week which focuses on indigenous communities and education. Right.Up.My.Alley. Unfortunately, I'm in class during the lecture times. I might sluff mask making on Thursday and hit up a lecture instead.

It's important. Everyone should sluff class Thursday. 

No comments: