Friday, October 18, 2013

Feeling 25 (Old).

This time last week, I was sitting in the Atlanta airport (freezing to death) and waiting, nervously, to board my flight to Mexico City.

Now I've been here an entire week, and I'm laughing at the fact that I was nervous at all. Oaxaca is an amazing, beautiful place with an amazing, beautiful culture (and subculture(s)). The people are kind, the food is great, the atmosphere is lively.

And there is a way that the clouds hang over the mountains that I've never seen before.

This morning started at 6 am (because apparently that's when I like to wake up) - stomach ache free! I woke up, showered, looked at the hazy mountain and then happily devoured a breakfast of watermelon and chilaquiles.

Every morning with breakfast, I get tea and juice. And, to top it off, Martita cooks the best food in the world. I eat the best food in the world 2x a day!! How lucky am I?

Then I went to school - and in class we watched a film-short called El Viajero which offered an interesting perspective on fear and race.

School was ordinary...lunch was amazing (seriously, I ate so much. Avocado, spinach, potato, celery, more chilaquiles, tortillas).

And now, I'm in my room unsure of where the evening will take me. Last night, however, the evening took me to a mezcal bar with my friends. It had amazing live music, and everyone was dancing cumbia and/or salsa. It was like something you only see in movies. Tiny bar, tons of people, everyone dancing, everyone happy.

But the last few days have been busy. It's like I hit the ground running the moment I stepped off the plane. I think tonight will probably be pretty calm [perhaps people watching in the Zocalo], we're all a little tired.

But it's the best kind of tired to be, by far.

No comments: