Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Family - Blog 2: My Mom

Moms are amazing. They gain 25+ pounds to bring us into the world, loving us unconditionally from conception even as we wage war against their bodies.

Moms tuck us into bed at night, clean up our messes, clean up our (yep) throw-up, wipe our bums and teach us to walk. They put bows in our hair, curl our bangs, pack our lunches, listen to us talk about our fights with our friends, take us shoe shopping and put band aids on our boo-boos.

Moms let us do weird things...like dipping pickles in koolaid, or eating juice out of a bowl with a spoon. Moms drive us to all our events, tell us stories of when they were little and sing us lullabies.

My mom did all of those things for me, and still does for my siblings...plus 1000x more. She deals with sister fights amongst my younger sisters (something I never had to deal with), a raging-hormonal teenage boy, takes the kids to early morning piano, cleans the house, prepares the meals, answers the phone whenever I call, pays the bills, and more. Between all this she finds time to plant a garden and do fun things with the kids.

My mom always let me bring my friends over. She didn't get mad when I snuck out the window to play outside on a Sunday. She didn't freak out when I wrote "angry notes" when she grounded me (give me a break, I was 8). She always answered the phone when I called her after lunch (pretty much every day) to tell her I had a stomach ache.

My mom is amazing and beautiful, and I love her.




No comments: