Monday, February 22, 2010

My words for the rest of you.


I wrote my letter to Jamie.
Now it's time that I try and share the greatness that he was (and will always be) with you.

Jamie D. Patel is one of the greatest men I have ever met. He loved unconditionally, he laughed whole-heartedly and lived every moment to the fullest. He was the big brother and friend I needed, especially in those turbulent adolescent years. He was a pillar to lean on.

I met Jamie on a beautiful summer day at Dewey Park at a church function. He was meandering around with the elders (one who has gone on to become one of my dearest friends) when I suddenly approached them in hopes of guessing their first names. I succeeded quickly with the two abnormally tall elders... but I struggled with Jamie's name :) I finally settled on Andy. He didn't like that. Upon him revealing his name to me... I decided he looked very much like a power ranger ought to - and decided I'd just call him that: "Power Ranger Patel." So I did, and he liked it :) And just like that...we were friends.

Jamie quickly became one of the most meaningful people in my life. He would drive all the way from Atsugi to Sagamihara just to chat when I was feeling down. He'd demand that I take his CD's and burn them so that I could have some good music :) He'd force me to watch Seinfeld at the most ungodly hour of the night so that he'd have someone to talk about it with. He'd watch at his little barack, and I'd watch it in my brothers room - and we'd IM about it :) Haha.

Jamie was an amazing example to me. He couldn't go to institute classes overseas, so he opted to take seminary with us seminary kids. After seminary every day, he'd drive me to school. Sometimes he'd even pick me up BEFORE seminary (which was a big deal cuz that means he was at my house at like... 5 am) when I had no one else to take me. Sometimes we'd just sit in his car and talk about things. He had to write me late-notes to school several times because we'd been chatting in the school parking lot 20 minutes into school :) As I would start to get out of the car he would say "Be good. Get all 100's. Remember who you are! Don't embarrass the family..... now get out of my car!!!!" It became such a common interaction between us that we'd say it in emails, texts, over the phone...facebook.

Jamie wrote me every week from his mission. Before he left, he gave me a plant (named George) and a guitar. I loved both of those things to their end. He inspired me to compose and perform my very first piece of music. In fact.. the song was for him! I've got it stashed somewhere... when I find it... I'll post it.

I remember when he finally got home... he had the worst flight home imaginable. Apparently he kept being hit in the arm by the stewardess's cart!

We did so many fun things together... and he did so many fun things with/for my family. I feel like I could write all the stories right now... and maybe eventually I will post them all.

It's hard for me to explain exactly what this world lost in Jamie's passing. He was a light that couldn't be dimmed. He was able to share that light with a beautiful and amazing woman named Jessie. I'm so happy he was able to spend the last moments of his time on this earth with someone as fantastic as she is.

Jamie D. Patel was my brother. The best brother that a girl could have been given.

3 comments:

PLANET HANSEN said...

That was beautiful Nikki. Well put. He was and IS special. He is still with us, just in a different form. His spirit shining bright.

Shannan said...

I didn't know him but from you and your moms blogs I can tell he was a special person and will obviously be really missed. Your mom tipped me off to your blog Nik and she is right...you are a great writer and a deep thinker. I guess Ron may have rubbed off on both of us in that aspect! I enjoyed reading the back posts here on your blog.
I am particularly curious about your Scand. Lit class. Let me guess...Soren Kirkegaard, Hans Christian Andersen, vilhem Moberg, and most likely Henrik Ibsen. Maybe even Isak Denisen??? I finished my Senior year with a slew of Scand. History and Literature but I had the added bones of being able to read them in their native language since the three languages are so closely related. Okay..I had to read the Moberg (Sweden) in English because Swedish is jacked up sometimes and is hard for us Danes to read!:)
Anyway, love that history love that culture and LOVE that you do to.
What have you done so far?

Keep on breathing out those questions to the universe Nikki...join the ranks of us who still wonder why. Eventually we'll find it.

tj said...

Nik, you are so loved by so many people. NO one reads MY blog :) I've only done it to vent to the great universe. You are at a time where there seems to be a fork in the road and you can't even decipher which is the one less traveled etc... Seriously, do what you feel is right, it probably is, if it turns out not to be you'll just have a few more choices and experience to draw upon. Breathe :)
If something is not clear to you, it's a stupor of though, so pray make a decision and if it feels good go for it. You're an excellent student (or so i'm told), you've left the comfort of being close to home (wise choice), you have what it takes so ... that is what I see in you. Not that you e-mail me much mind you ;). I love you and can't wait to see you soon. Love ya! Auntie T