Friday, January 6, 2012

Little Sisters

When I was 13, my mom told me she was pregnant with a girl.
Up until that point, I'd only lived with brothers. Stephen? Check. Kameron? Check. Keanu? Check. All brothers, all there.
I was fully expecting another brother.

I was so surprised to hear I was going to have a sister that I told my mom to go back to the hospital and have them turn her into a boy, or else.

She told me I wouldn't always feel that way, that I'd see that baby girl and love her. I didn't believe her but, MAN, was she right.

Last night, I was getting a little annoyed with my 10 year old sister. She was talking a lot, and being similar to velcro. I've been sharing a room with her for three weeks, and had been thinking about how nice it would be to be back in my own room, in my quiet space. No clothes scattered across the floor. No stuffed animal mountains in the corner. No weird plates or rocks or things jumping out to attack me.

But, then it hit me, that would mean no more baby sister. As I was lying in bed (HER bed) I started to get a little choked up. There I was, thinking about all these things that were kind of annoying. Things that mean that my little sister is still a little girl. She's still young enough that she thinks I'm the coolest person on earth. She still wants to cuddle on the couch, and draw me silly pictures. She still tells me everything, including really strange jokes. She still likes me enough that she ditches her friends for me. She shares her favorite stuffed animals with me, and plays arcade games with me.

I kind of decided that there is no way I can be annoyed with her little antics. Her picky eating. Her sometimes awkward comments. Not when they're so short lived. She's already grown a full 10 years, and those went by in the blink of my left eye.

Who's to say the next 10 won't happen in the blink of my other eye?

My baby sister is my best friend. My mini me. My little shadow. I'm so glad she wasn't born a boy - and I secretly hope she never grows out of thinking I'm awesome. Maybe when we're 20 and 33, we can still cuddle on the couch and watch animal planet.

2 comments:

Jake and Danica said...

I feel like Shan will always want to cuddle :)

PLANET HANSEN said...

You two are my sweet, beautiful, cuddly awesome little girls. I love the picture. I love you guys!