Sunday, April 10, 2011

Utah and my love-hate relationship.

I love a lot of things about Utah.

The sun shines most of the time, the mountains are beautiful, it smells nice. The people are generally friendly. Everyone has a dog. Many and most of my friends and family live here. The ballet is here. Even my job is here (telecommuting).

But for some reason I have this odd resistance to the place. It's too crowded. People get married too quickly and too young. You can't go anywhere without hearing a baby cry. There aren't enough healthy food options. The Mormon culture (within Utah) tends to overwhelm people with a sense of religious elitism. You know you're an outsider if you aren't an active LDS member.

Usually I get tired of being in Utah after about 4 days. I feel exhausted and ready to get back on the plane!

This time, it's different. I don't want to leave. I wouldn't mind staying all summer. All year. I have things to do, people I don't see enough.

Stupid Utah.

No comments: