Friday, April 9, 2010

English Major on strike.

I think I should have stuck with dental school.
One more semester of science and math classes and I could apply.

I always loved the idea of being a dentist. I am good enough to be a dentist. I'm even smart enough.

Truth be told - I'm tired of defending my major.

Person: "What are you going to school for?"
Me: "English."
Person: "...Oh."
Me: "and secondary education."
Person: "You want to be a teacher!"
Me: "yes."
Person: "I have a friend like you. She's in Med School."

....

I feel like it's never good enough - the English major. The teaching plan. I'm tired of feeling ashamed and inadequate - like somehow being an English teacher is an unworthy cause.

Sometimes the convos go:
Person: "What's your major?"
Me: "English... and secondary ed."
Person: "You know, 3 out of every 5 teachers doesn't make it through the first 5 years. They quit or work outside the realm of education."

-----
What are you trying to say? That you think I'm one of them? That I'm not strong, smart, tall, bold or brave enough? What will make you happy, people?

Maybe I will just go to dental school... and when I do - you better hope you don't end up at my practice. I might just forget to inject your lips with lidocaine.

Rah!

1 comment:

PLANET HANSEN said...

You are going to be GREAT at whatever you do!!! You are smart.
You have a great personality...and you can do whatever you put your mind to. :) The people who are asking these questions are probably all psych, political science and history majors, so they can't talk. :) ( no offense to anyone....any degree is better than no degree).