Friday, September 7, 2012

Hey Teacher! How You Sound?

I am looking through the students' binders before I actually grade them. Kind of a "first reading" - if you will - so that I don't get distracted while I grade. Here are the gems so far:

Things that helped my students:

This most helpful thing was the word of the day because instead of just you telling it to us, we used it in sentences.

I like how you eased in to homework. It helped a lot. I think we can now get a little more since now I am used to it.

I liked that you gave us the T.S. Eliot poem because it was challenging.

I like that you let me draw what's in my mind when I'm having trouble writing it. 

You helped us by showing us pictures.

This week, I'd like more time to write in class. I found it helpful that you often had directions on the board as well as saying them. 

Examples of hyperbole:

He's so cheap, he licks other peoples fingers at KFC.

My teacher is so nice, she should win the Nobel Peace Prize.

My teacher is so tall, she bumps her head on the moon.

Examples of personification:

The eraser hungrily ate up the chalky letters, his appetite never satisfied and always ready to try new things without hesitation.

Favorite misspellings of the week:

wore : whore
neighbor: neybior