Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pumped Up Kicks

When I was 14, I asked my parents to buy me 3 pairs of Converse for Christmas - and I told them they'd never have to buy me street shoes again (until college).

I was right.

My chucks took me everywhere. All over the streets of Los Angeles. My chucks took me from class to class to class. They took me to marching band practice and to the baskin robbins down the road. My chucks were there when I had my first ham sandwich with mayonnaise on it. My chucks took me to my first kiss. My chucks took me across the picket line in front of Vons to buy snacks. My chucks took me to the tide pools.

My chucks took me to clubs, arcades and temples in Japan. They took me to sushi-go-round, Yoshinoya, the Odakyu Sagamihara eki. My chucks took me to my first day of high school back in Japan. They took me to my junior and senior prom. They took me to Tokyo Tower. They took me to a number of concerts and soccer games and youth camps. My darling converse took me to my first job, and to my first year of college.

I still have a functioning pair left, and I'm about to graduate with my M(asters of) Ed(ucation).

I bought (actually, Danica bought them) a new pair last summer. I'm sure they will take me everywhere. Where will yours take you?


1 comment:

Jake and Danica said...

Hey! I got mentioned! :) Well my last pair took me nearly all the way through school: From the first day of as a Freshman in High School to my first day as a Senior in College. Unfortunately said chucks died partially into that year and were replaced (and are replaced) by those glittery, white chucks that walked with me down the aisle (figuratively speaking). :) Those chucks will stay with me forever...even when they're not functioning anymore. You don't just throw shoes like those away :)