Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Wedding Blog

I am getting married on June 16, 2012 to a really handsome fella. He's 6'2, with broody eyes and ravishing good looks. His name is Matt and he is my best friend.

But, you all already know that. This blog is not about my deep and undying love for Matt - I have written plenty of those :)
No. This is the frilly, girly, I am sooo getting married entry.

Prepare yourself.



This is the kind of invitation we want to mimic (with our own names, of course). I being a book nerd and desperately in love with this idea.



This is the center piece idea (of course, I will put my own twist on it...and I can hardly wait).



This is the bridesmaid dress (it comes in two styles)!! They love it, I love it, its practical and affordable. Hooray!



This is our venue. Yep! THIS is where we are getting married, and it's beautiful. We are so happy with our venue that we can hardly stand it.



What's that, dear reader? Oh. Yes. I know. This is not a temple. I don't care :) It is my wedding. I will do what I want. Don't like it? don't come....and I don't mean that in a rude way.



It's really beautiful, and surprisingly affordable.

These are the beads I want to wear on my head:


And this is the bouquet I will (make) have....:


As for the rest, it is still in progress....but you can bet that more is yet to come.

And now, to address the topic of my marrying a nonmember: There is a stigma that if you marry outside of the temple, you will not have a happy life. For some reason, some people who are married in the temple or plan to marry in the temple are of the opinion that non-LDS or partially-LDS families do not love each other, their kids, their friends or themselves are much as a temple-wedded couple. This stigma has always bothered me. Why is this such a common opinion in the church? I have met many a non-member family that love their kids and spouses just as much as (if not more than) a temple-sealed family.

I have seen temple wedded families fall victim to abuse and divorce, just like non-temple wedded families. I have seen eternally sealed families go through the motions of the temple marriage, without truly believing it...it's just a chore on their "to-do to get to Heaven" list.

If people don't value the experience or try to keep the covenants they make, then it isn't valid anyway. So, no. I'm not sad or unhappy that I'm not getting married in the temple.

I am marrying a man who loves and respects me, and who will love and care for our children. A man with no vices, and a man with faith. I'm marrying a great man. And, no, you do not have to be Mormon to be great.

5 comments:

ambertreto said...

<3 it girlie. Keep it up. You're going to shine, naturally, and enjoy a happy life together.

PLANET HANSEN said...

The most important thing is you are marrying your best friend,who you love...who treats you amazingly well. That is what you are doing. We love Matt and we love YOU!!!! No one should be judging you because of who you are marrying or the fact he is not LDS. If they do, send them my way and I'll take care of it. :) Love youuuu

Geevz said...

Oh goodness! Of course people outside the temple love each other and can have happy marriages! It is ridiculous to to think otherwise. I know you and Matt will have a wonderful and caring marriage.

I hope no one is actually saying non-mormon's aren't awesome. You have permission to smack them if they are. The whole "not getting married in the temple" stigma if you will is less likely to be from that sentiment than from the statistics. It can be really difficult to go to church alone, especially if you bring your children. Then it gets easier to think you can believe and worship without going through the hassle of church. Then faith begins to falter. Things go downhill from there.

So if you are getting sadness from others, they probably think you are going to be another who falls away from the church. But if there is ANYONE I know who can fight and overcome stereotypes, it's you my dear.

You are going to have an amazing life together and from those pictures, and amazing wedding too!

P.S. I died when I saw your venue. Magical.

Nikki said...

Thanks, Geevz :) I love the venue too. It's kind of amazing :)

^_^ and you're kind of amazing too, you always have really good things to say.

Shannan said...

Love seeing all these details. Keep posting as the ideas come. My favorite is the pin bouque. It's everything. I am interesting to see how you will make it and I will keep my eyes open for any cool vintage pins.
Post more pictures of Matt since I have never met him.
Love ya.
P.S. Your Human.Insect Poem is great.