Thursday, June 16, 2011

Family - Blog 4: My Older Sister

The relationship I have with my older sister is not the traditional older-younger sister relationship. Because we grew up in separate households, we never had to endure any of the "that's my sweater" or "I saw him first, he likes me" type of conflicts. Because we were both totally surrounded by brothers in our separate households... I think we both probably imagined what it might be like to have a sister, living in the same house, to talk to.

For me, I know that sometimes I wished I had a sister to trade clothes with...or to give me hand me downs. There were times when having a sister to give me makeup or hair tips would have come in handy. I would have told a sister about my first kiss. It's not that brothers aren't great...they just don't care about that kind of stuff :)

I think that because my sister and I were raised far apart from each other, we have really come to appreciate the relationship we're able to have now. We don't have years of contentious memories that keep us from trusting each other. I can tell her all my secrets if I want, and know that they are locked up tight in the sister vault.

The most exciting thing about having an older sister is that she has all sorts of good advice. She has been where I am now. She can share in the excitement of getting married. And when she goes through childbirth she can tell me "it's not as bad as you think."

At least...that's what I hope she'll tell me. Either way, I know her babies will be cute and I will get to be an aunt ^_^

My older sister is beautiful and I love her!



No comments: